question about art submission

Curious about drawing? Tips? Photoshop questions? Ask away.
Kylene Devlin

question about art submission

Post by Kylene Devlin »

Hey, Joe... I love your site, it's one of my favorites. I see that you're looking for submissions, and I was wondering. If I wanted to offer up some artwork, would it have to be in conjunction with a written story? Could it just be free standing art? Do I have to team with a writer? What exactally would I have to do here? I look forward to your response.
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Right now, Sick Puppy is still feeling out the process of working with other people and publishing their content. What I expect is that we'll have an author with a story, and then need images to go with it. So the story will have to come first, then the pictures.

And Sick puppy is going to be extremely picky about quality. The whole point of doing this is to provide books that are always made of the very best writing and art.

So if you'd like to submit some samples, we'll take a look at them and let you know if you're someone we'll contact in the future. As for right now, we don't have any outside authors, but we're always looking.

joe@sixpacksite.com
Xanimot

Post by Xanimot »

Maybe you should specify some of these things in the FAQ, Joe? I'm a writer, and I was going to post a similar question in the writing forums. Additionally, maybe it would work better for you to make a seperate "submissions@sixpacksite.com" adress (or something similar) so that stories don't get confused with general questions. Either way, these are things that you should specify on the FAQ.

I've got an idea for a short-ish story formulating at the moment... If I'm lucky it'll be done by the end of the week, but you know how stories go.

Some other issues:

What form is payment going to be recieved in? Mailed checks? Paypal?

How fast will we know if our submissions are accepted? Some of us may want to submit to less picky sites after we find out you hypothetically don't like our stories.

How's the anonymity policy work? Some of us may want to remain anonymous, but still want to get paid :P

Thanks for this great site/service/dodongo cavern (wait, that last one was Ocarina of Time...)
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

On submissions: what I'm looking for is discussion of ideas about writing or art, rather than finished pieces. That's why there's no "submissions" address. I don't want to have someone write 55,000 words or draw a dozen drawings and then submit and wait for my royal decree.

What I want is someone to say "Hey, I'm interested" and then I can take a look at what they're thinking about, and see prior work. That way I don't lead anyone on.

For purposes of creating a paper trail, payment for stories would have to be in the form of a check made out the author's real name. In selling a story or work of art, a contract needs to be signed as well. Yes, there's a loss of privacy. But this is a legal process that needs to be properly documented.

Good questions, though. The submission FAQ is just a framework to set expectations. I'll flesh it out as time goes on and I learn about this process of being a publisher.