joe
Site Admin

Thames Greene

Post by joe »

Post here for James J Craft's book, "Thames Greene"
Great Sage

Post by Great Sage »

Cool, looks like I am first to comment.
Please note there may be spoilers - before reading this story read Testing a Theory - this is it's sequel.
It would have been nice if this had been made more explicit from the start - I was bedevilled with the feeling that something was terribly familiar about this setting.
The basic story was good but I am annoyed at the huge amounts of spelling mistakes, name confusions and shaky grammar - when I pay for a book I expect it to have been professionally proofread and this level of amateurish ineptitude is unacceptable.
if this book is ever re edited I will expect a free update, and I think it only fair that others should receive the same.
If Misha is who I think she is then what was done to her was unfair and cruel.
In fact I was bothered by the fate that the various people met - I would have preferred things to have ended better for some of them.

Having said that the pacing was good and the slow transformation was ok - It was just more of the same, I would prefer to see some variety. I did like the story, but I had some issues with it as well.
AKramden

Post by AKramden »

While I wouldn't use the vitrolic verbiage that Great Sage did, I would have to agree regarding proofreading. When you charge for an e-book, you have a responsibility to produce a product that is not riddled with missing words and spelling and grammar mistakes.

That having been said, I have no objections with the unkind ends some reached and found the story to in many ways be enjoyable. I did find that the cast of characters was large enough that I did have difficulty following all the threads of the story. Whether that is a fault of the author or of the reader, I do not know.

There was, however, a noted lack of transformation scenes within the story. There were observations of transformative aftereffects (i.e., oh, I'm bulging out of an A-cup now), but you didn't really see actual transformation in this story (IMHO) and that's a real thing to be thumbs-down on.

On a letter scale, I'd give this between a B- and a C+, leaning more towards the C+ due to the severe proofreading problems.
redryder

Post by redryder »

This was all right, but it felt a little scattered and had serious copy editing problems as mentioned.

If you would like someone to check manuscripts, I'd be happy to do so for only a free copy of the manuscript (I'm a professional editor).
Great Sage

Post by Great Sage »

I think the reason why this is such a disappointment IMHO is because the author's Big In Japan story was so much better in many ways - notably proofreading and general facility in using the English language like a native speaker :D but also because the script and pace were tighter, of course it being a sequel to a masterpiece like Testing a Theory did it no favours either.

The sad thing is this will now make me think twice about simply buying sight unseen another Sick Puppy Press Story - especially from this author - he has embarrassed himself and let the team down - I hope he is suitably ashamed :P .
I will give him a second chance though as this Stone Ape is a fair Monkey King.

Oh and when a professional editor offers his/her services for next to nothing I suggest you accept gratefully.